South Texas Regional Training Center
South Texas Regional Training Center, in 2011, after over four years, with the persistent effort of the City of Hondo, its Mayor and Management Staff, the Center opened on Hondo’s Airbase to serve the vocational and academic needs of Hondo, Medina County and the surrounding area. The facility is operative under an Interlocal Agreement between the City of Hondo, Medina County, and Southwest Texas Junior College (SWTJC) out of Uvalde. Funding to renovate the existing structure was provided by the City of Hondo Economic Development Corporation and the Commissioner’s Court of Medina County. The building and the land on which the building is situated were provided by the City of Hondo
The Training Center opened in August 2011, with an on-site distance learning academic courses offered by the SWTJC. Plans are to continue offering academic courses and broaden offerings to include vocational/technical trade courses such as, truck driving, welding, Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC), medical training, technology based courses and much more. The Training Center has conference rooms that accommodate meetings, training's and seminars.
Today, we have several educational and assistance programs that reside at our South Texas Regional Training Center:
- Southwest Texas Junior College –Offers academic courses leading to an Associate’s Degree
- Southwest Texas Junior College –Offers day and evening High School Equivalency (formally GED) and English Second Language classes
- Concordia University –Offers undergraduate and graduate classes
- Goodwill/Good Careers Academy –offers Certified Nursing Assistant courses to high school students
- Alamo Workforce Solutions -Workforce development for the community offers counseling, filing for unemployment benefits, and support for local businesses
The synergies created by clustering of these resources makes for a unique regional experience for businesses and job seekers alike.
James W. Danner, Sr. Annex, our newly constructed Annex opened January of 2020. Southwest Texas Junior College offers Welding and Heating Ventilation and Air Condition (HVAC) vocational classes.
Have any Questions Contact:
Genevieve Flores, Economic Development Director for The City of Hondo
402 Carter Street
Hondo, Texas 78861