Why Do Business Here?
Hondo is a city with a population of 9,305 located on US Highway 90 West just 41 miles west of San Antonio with the Eagle Pass, Laredo and San Antonio triangle. The proximity to the greater San Antonio metropolitan network of roadways allows for easy transit and flexibility for new business ventures.
Our South Texas Regional Intermodal Park and Airport consists of 975 acres of available land ready for development. The intermodal park is located one half mile from US Highway 90 and parallel to the Union Pacific Railroad line. The Union Pacific Railroad owns and maintains the railroad through the city. Hondo Railway, a short rail operator, runs the rail port and coordinates with UP and BNSF for all train movements.
Hondo’s South Texas Regional Training Center partners with the Southwest Texas Junior College and Goodwill Industries of San Antonio to offer training for your personnel as requested. Tax credits are also available to companies that hire persons under the Welfare to Work program. We will assist in completing the applications to qualify for these programs.
Our tax rate is competitive with the surrounding counties and we believe does not serve as an impediment to any business.
Hondo has the following tax rate structure:
City Tax Rate $0.5109 per $100
Independent School District Tax Rate $1.1400 per $100
County Tax Rate $0.5250 per $100
Hospital Special District Rate $0.0581 per $100
Our community is an active grouping of people that are constantly seeking ways to improve our quality of life.
The City of Hondo has:
• An excellent school district that is in the process of implementing a $33m bond improvement plan.
• Hondo recently completed construction of a state of the art library.
• The Medina Healthcare System operates a 25 bed hospital with a surgical unit, 3 rural health clinics that are open 6 days a week; a 24-hour Level IV Trauma Certified Emergency Department and a Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center.
• Active civic organizations such as the Rotary Club, the Lions Club, American Legion, VFW, Art League, Garden Club, Fair Association, Rodeo Association, Stock Show Association and many others offer volunteer opportunities for all our citizens.
• An active Little League baseball program, softball for all kids, a youth soccer league, a youth flag football program run by an active recreation center staff that offers services to the city and countywide youth.
• A recreation center that incorporates all our efforts to create more recreational and wellness opportunities for our children, adults and senior citizens.
• Over 100 acres of parks that are located in all parts of town to include a 9-hole golf course.
• A 20-acre nature trail serves as a physical fitness and education venue for all of our citizens and visitors alike.
We look forward to partnering with you to make your company an integral part of our local business community. Your business is important to us because it diversifies our business and commercial environment and provides Hondo with a presence in the national and international market. But more importantly, your company provides jobs for the community.